I never had so much fun cleaning my desk!
Today I created an “accountability day” for myself, to clean my desk and declutter it. I hate doing this sort of thing alone, so I enlisted my friends on Twitter and Facebook to hold me accountable.
We had great conversation (and really, really funny!) back-and-forth on FB and Twitter with my peeps.
Everyone loved this idea! So much so that everyone wanted to have a Clean Your Desk Before It Rebels accountability day of their own. Here’s what I propose:
1. Choose a day during the week of July 6 when you’ll pledge to clean your desk, declutter your office, file your paperwork.
2. Choose a time you will begin and a time you will end. Setting clear goals will help you to focus.
3. If you’re on Facebook or Twitter, friend me here:
4. Post your start date and time, and your “before” photo, on your blog or on Facebook. Don’t be shy or embarrassed by your “before” photo of your office…we’re all in this together. (Make sure you post your start date and time to my Wall in Facebook, or use #cydbir in your Twitter tweet, so we can find everyone who is participating. I want to make sure I’m following your progress on your CYDBIR day!)
5. Every 30 minutes or so during your day, post a tweet or message about your status: How are you doing? What have you gotten done so far? Where are you stuck?
6. Post photos along the way so we can all celebrate and cheer you on!
Here’s what my tweets looked like the day I cleaned my desk:
- 1:45 – I’m spending the afternoon cleaning off my desk. Nag me. Poke me. Make me do it! Don’t let me off the hook, folks! <grin>
- 2:15 – All Client folders are sorted and stored properly.
- 2:32 – discovered a Lowe’s gift card while cleaning my desk…from Xmas! This is not a good sign. I wonder what it’s worth???
- 2:43 – running a anti-virus full system scan – might as well clean ALL my desk!
- 2:48 – all book writing project binders and class lesson plan binders put away neatly, with their own labels no less!
- 2:54 – found overdue library books. This is going downhill fast.
- 3:01 – oh, great, a HUGE thunderstorm is coming. How can I clean my desk if I can’t SEE my desk?
- 3:05 – awwwww…found a wonderful photo of my great grandmothers, from 1957 while going through a pile of papers. Things are looking up! (They’re so cute.)
- 3:07 – supply closet – done!
- 3:14 – okay, thunderstorm is scary. Will shut computer down now but I PROMISE to continue to clean my desk! Be back soon!
- 3:15 – re-hung my Vision Board so it was more secure. Yippee!
- 3:18 – sorted my to-be-read and what-I’m-reading-now book pile. Good stuff here.
- 3:29 – uncovered and cleaned my favorite Bowl-O-Rocks. (I like to use them in meditation and when talking with clients on the phone as a focusing tool.)
- 3:35 – had cookies and milk with my husband while the thunderstorm went by. Back to cleaning!
- 3:45 – most papers cleaned up, put away, books stacked…now on to the dusting!
- 3:50 – done! And with 10 minutes to spare!
I posted photos along with each of these tweets to my Facebook photo album. Everyone got a kick out of encouraging me, teasing me, and watching my progress, and I had so much FUN cleaning my desk!
My next personal CYDBIR day is July 8, starting at 10:00 AM eastern. (I have two desks!)