As we begin to roll towards January, we start to think of New Year’s resolutions. Instead of adding more stress to your life by listing 10 huge goals to accomplish in the next year, why not start the new year right with 10 small things you can do to give you a feeling of instant success?
Here are some suggestions to get you started:
- Add a little spirituality to your daily life. Create a new tradition for celebrating birthdays or anniversaries. Make a home alter with candles and flowers, and say a little prayer there each morning. Keep a daily journal. Be on the lookout for the beauty of nature, and stop to appreciate it wherever you find it.
- Take a look at your physical environment. Are there papers and receipts you need to file or throw away? Take just 10 minutes a day for the next five days to work on straightening up your paperwork. You’ll be amazed at what you can accomplish in such a short time! Find more tips in my blog post 11 Things to Do When Business Slows Down Over the Holidays.
- Tell one person each week that you love them. It’s too easy to forget to tell people that we care about them. This year, make it a special promise to yourself that you’ll tell at least one person, each week, that you love them and that you’re grateful to have them in your life.
- Buy a plant. Not only will you be creating better air quality for your home or office, but nurturing a plant can help you emotionally as well. While you’re at it, buy a nice pot to plant it in, and place your new plant somewhere where it will give you joy.
- Find out how much money you need to retire. You’ll find many retirement calculators on financial websites, like Quicken.com or Fidelity.com. They’re easy to use (less than 10 minutes!) and can quickly give you a financial goal to move towards. If you don’t have access to the Internet, ask your bank or financial broker for a paper version of a retirement calculator. Start the new year right by knowing where you are heading, financially.
- Spend time with your best friend. A one-hour lunch, a movie, a walk in the park … it doesn’t matter what you do together, as long as you spend time with each other. Not only will you get a sense of companionship and love, but you’ll be going a long way towards stress relief. Don’t have a best friend nearby? Get yourself to classes or events around topics that excite you and find yourself a new best friend!
- Buy a new bed pillow. Too many of us have old pillows on our beds that don’t support our necks properly as we sleep. For under $25, you can find a huge selection of pillows at most department stores. And, you can keep your old pillow to add firmness and support when you’re reading in bed.
- Take a television break. One night a week, choose to have a “no television” night. Read a book. Work on a craft project. Play a game. Write a story. Take a walk. Involve your family and friends to come up with creative and fun things you can do on your “no television” night.
- Find out what your blood pressure is. Many shopping centers have blood pressure machines you can use for free.
- Take my “Clean Sweep Program” self-test. You have more natural energy when you are clear with your environment, health and emotional balance, money and relationships. The Clean Sweep Program consists of 100 items that, when completed, give you the vitality and strength you want. To get a free “Clean Sweep Program” self-test (PDF), click here.
Discover the missing link, and solve the mystery of why small business owners aren’t buying your consulting services. Click here to get a copy of my free Missing Link ebook.